You hear the term “nanotechnology,” and what do you think of? Sci-fi, maybe robots, something along those lines? The truth is, nanotechnology is making life better for everyone. At its core, nanotechnology is the science of dealing with matter on an atomic and molecular scale. The hope is that scientists can use nanotechnology to produce new materials and products that boast an array of purposes.
The practical side of nanotechnology
As an illustration, Science Daily ran a feature story about scientists creating a way to use nanotechnology to lessen the amount of friction in car engines and machines. If this technology becomes widespread, it will help lengthen the lives of machines and engines and enable them to operate more efficiently. According to the Science Daily story, a team of scientists created tiny polymer particles which were dispersed in automobile engine base oils. When tested under conditions that simulated those found in car engines, these tiny particles were found to have an extraordinary ability to reduce friction.
More efficient motors
The story reported that even when these particles were dispersed at a low concentration, they boasted more effective friction-reducing abilities than the friction reducing additives used by many industries today. The scientists learned that these particles, measuring just nanometers in size, were able to reduce friction by 55 percent more than additives currently can. Expect more discoveries similar to this down the road. The field of nanotechnology keeps growing. It’s growing so quickly, in fact, that the United States recently released a national strategy for ensuring that environmental, health, and safety research needs are recognized and addressed in the field.
The emerging world of nanotechnology
If you feel, then, that nanotechnology is only good for Hollywood special effects blockbusters; simply take a close look at your car’s engine. One day, nanotechnology could leave you with an engine that utilizes less gas. That, of course, can leave you with a fatter wallet, and you will be able to thank nanotechnology for this.
Wi-Fi Security: Tips to Stay Protected – Digital Healer
About Digital Healer
Digital Healer prides itself on giving our New York, NY customers the best quality managed IT services and tech support available. Our staff members treat our clients like business partners and use their experience and knowledge of technology to ensure your business' success through better managed IT and tech support.
- 05/14/2013 You might be surprised which mobile device is hacked the most
- 05/09/2013 Time to buy a computer monitor? Do your research
- 05/08/2013 Phone passcodes are far from hacker-proof
- 05/02/2013 Follow these tips to keep your eyes healthy at the office
- 05/01/2013 Sharing screens on a tablet no longer a hassle
- 04/26/2013 Protecting your privacy is easier than you think
- 04/24/2013 Are you mourning the end of Google Reader?
- 04/17/2013 Why you need to learn two-factor authentication
- 04/11/2013 You can protect your business from a cyber attack
- 04/11/2013 Bigger tax breaks coming to small businesses that invest in new tech